Lectures, University of Helsinki, autumn 2023.
Please note that all course instructions and materials will be made available on this page.
- Lectures 6 September – 18 October + readings
- N. B. Lectures start at 13.00 sharp.
- No lecture on 4 October.
- One-page idea papers. Deadline 13 October. Upload to Moodle. Language: English. Format: PDF. File name: surname. Please find the section for Idea papers and read the instructions.
- Mini-seminar on idea papers 18 October; everyone reads all the papers for discussion.
- Mini-article of 1500–2000 words. Fixed deadline 15 November. Upload to Moodle. Language: English, Finnish or Swedish.
- Reading for 13 September: van Dijck, J. (2013) The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media. Oxford University Press. Chapter 1: Engineering Sociality in a Culture of Connectivity. Available on Helka.
- Reading for 11 October: Jürgen Habermas (2006) ”Political Communication in Media Society: Does Democracy Still Enjoy an Epistemic Dimension? The Impact of Normative Theory on Empirical Research”. Communication Theory 16(4): 411-26.