Lectures, University of Helsinki, autumn 2022.
Please note that all course instructions and materials will be made available on this page.
- Lectures 8 September – 13 October + readings.
- Note that there is no lecture on 20 October. A replacement lecture will take place on Zoom on 27 September at 13.15–15.45): https://helsinki.zoom.us/j/69393822138 If you are trying to get in, please try again and see if you can get into a waiting room!
- Instead of the lecture on 6 October, we will attend the NordEthics workshop Ethical Agency in a Changing Media and Communication Landscape taking place at the Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, Fabianinkatu 24, 3rd floor main room at 13.15–16.00 pm. Please arrive in a timely fashion. Questions are welcome after the researchers’ discussion. The themes explored at the workshop will also be discussed at the next lecture.
- One-page idea papers. Deadline 10 October. Upload to Moodle. Language: English. Format: PDF. File name: surname. Please find the section for Idea papers and read the instructions.
- Mini-seminar on idea papers 13 October; everyone reads all the papers for discussion.
- Mini-article of 1500–2000 words. Fixed deadline 15 November. Upload to Moodle. Language: English, Finnish or Swedish.
- Reading for 14 September: van Dijck, J. (2013) The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media. Oxford University Press. Chapter 1: Engineering Sociality in a Culture of Connectivity. Available on Helka.
- Reading for 29 September: Jürgen Habermas (2006) ”Political Communication in Media Society: Does Democracy Still Enjoy an Epistemic Dimension? The Impact of Normative Theory on Empirical Research”. Communication Theory 16(4): 411-26.
- Reading for 13 October: Idea papers on Moodle.